Skip to main content

Choose a Location.

Billings, MT
2999 Old Hardin Rd.
Billings, MT 59101
(406) 248-7481
Location Details

Boise, ID
Boise's 5th Wheel Headquarters
4180 Broadway
Boise, ID 83705
(208) 388-4678
Location Details

Missoula, MT
4800 Grant Creek Rd.
Missoula, MT 59808
(406) 541-4800
Location Details

Nampa, ID
1608 Industrial Road
Nampa, ID 83687
(208) 606-7160
Location Details
View RV Types Banner

Importing your RV to Canada

There has never been a better time for Canadians looking to purchase a new or used RV in the United States. With the current exchange rate and our every day volume discount pricing, Canadian customers will find value and savings at Bretz RV & Marine.

Having sold many RVs into Canada, we have experience and are comfortable with the process. As the Canadian and U.S. dollar exchange rate has become closer to parallel, many more customers make the quick and easy trip from Canada to Missoula, Montana to purchase new and used RVs. Bretz RV & Marine understands the paperwork and the process needed to ensure that our customers have a pleasant and simple border crossing experience.

The process to import an RV is straightforward. We supply you with all the necessary paper work needed for the border office.

This paperwork consists of the following:


Showing the vehicle identification number and the agreed-to purchase price. This needs to be a signed original as the Canada border agent will calculate the goods and services tax from the paid amount on the purchase order.


Printed on the manufacturer's letter head and must show the VIN number of the vehicle being purchased. Can be a faxed copy.


The title or MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin or factory title before it is turned into a customers ownership title) needs to be assigned to the purchaser by the dealership. You will need this document as it is the only document that transfers ownership to the customer.

With these three documents you can take your new purchase home. At the border, stop on the U.S. side first to be sure the U.S. border agent needs nothing. Stop at the Canada border agent office. They will want to see the paperwork given to you at the time of purchase by Bretz RV & Marine. They then inspect the trailer verifying that the serial number matches, have you fill out an import form and will collect the goods and services tax and the Canada RIV fee. (A credit card can be used for the tax and fees.)

Because we are transferring title to the customer and as a dealership doing business in the United States, we have no recourse to recover a vehicle once it has passed over the border. We require that the vehicle is paid in full before it leaves our dealership. We request that a wire transfer of funds be completed in the amount of the agreed to purchase price. This assures our lenders that the vehicle was paid for before it leaves our possession. Typically a wire transfer of funds can take up to three business days.

Other facts to note when importing an RV into Canada.

Many websites state that there is a 72 Hour wait period before you reach the border with a vehicle. This is only true if the vehicle is a motorized vehicle such as a car, truck, motor home, ATV etc.

A non-motorized vehicle such as a travel trailer or truck camper has no 72 hour waiting period to cross the border. You can purchase a travel trailer and travel directly to the border with no wait period. In the very near future you will be required to furnish your passports before entering the United States. If you do not already have a passport, it's a good idea to obtain one for travelling to other countries. It can take time to receive your passport - up to 12 weeks, so plan ahead.

Register of Imported Vehicles